Tuesday, March 9, 2010

International Day of Women


Yesterday, March 8, was the International Day of Women or Donna Day (and that's pronounced "don-ya") and a small group of us women celebrated in style.

I was invited to a luncheon and my contribution was to be the party favors. Much more fun for a piddler than making a salad. I thought I'd show you a quick and inexpensive favor that you can adapt to Easter or any spring occasion. Remember you can click on the picture to enlarge and see the details.

Using a 2-dozen egg carton tray, I cut it into 6-egg sections with an exacto knife. I wanted to use the hinged carton but when I looked in my local grocery store, I couldn't find one plain without advertising stamped on it for less than $2.99 and I needed six so I thought that was a little too expensive. So I went to an egg company where they sell large numbers of eggs and picked up a couple of 2-dozen egg trays. They are easily carved into the size you need.

After lining it with a few strands of Easter grass, I filled each section with all kinds of treasures...an assortment of chocolates, a tiny baby chick inside a plastic egg, and a tiny little accordian book I'd made with quotes about women. I then placed the whole thing in a cellophane corsage bag and tied it with a ribbon and added a name tag and a daisy. Everything was color coordinated and looked fresh and spring-like...just the look I was after.

I'm still looking for inexpensive small hinged cartons to use as gift-wrap. I can just see a tiny gift tucked inside and then wrapped with a beautiful ribbon and a gorgeous silk flower hot-glued on top. It'd be great as a graduation gift for a very studious grad with a gift certificate for a favorite book store with a hang tag on top that said, "for our favorite egg-head"...or a wedding gift with a tag that read, "for a couple of good eggs." Okay, Judi, stop now. Just let your imagination run wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment