Saturday, October 8, 2011

Putting Out the Pumpkins


It's time for Fall touches and I usually put those out the first of September. Huffing and puffing and sweating the whole time, just knowing that fall weather will kick in at any minute. Well, looking at pumpkins at least makes me feel a tiny bit cooler in this hot and humid spot in South Texas. There's really not much difference in the temperature between August and September down here, but it's just the idea that August is gone!


I fringed this table cover just a bit more so that's it's smaller. I like this look better. I decided to keep the light colored one where it was and put the black one on the kitchen table. The girls were coming over for dessert and cards, so I had the right incentive to get it all done.


This 3-tiered stand on the kitchen counter is something I bought back in April. It's big and holds lots of stuff. I decided to fill it with gourds and fall-colored fruit. I had to promise St. Wayne an apple pie when the Granny Smith's start to look bad. But for now, I like the bright colors mixed in. There's even a little bottle with three white roses on the top tier, but because I'm not the best photographer, you probably can't tell.


For the kitchen table, I bought an orange, pumpkin-shaped basket and placed white roses in it. Filled an old wooden dough bowl with tiny pumpkin-shaped potpourri for fragrance, added a candle and a few gourds, and called it a day. Whatever is on the kitchen table has to be simple and self-contained so it can be moved...either for a quick card game or those rare dinners at the table.

The dessert you see in the last picture is a Pumpkin Charlotte. It's an easy, no-bake, impressive dessert. Looks like you've worked for days on it...and that's my kind of recipe. I'll share it in my next post. I also have an easy and very unusual hors doeuvres that is fun to make. And not only is it tasty but it makes your whole house smell like Fall...

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment