Sunday, September 12, 2010

Jan's Fan

My friend Jan lives in Dripping Springs. A small town about 20 minutes from Austin. She lives in a fabulous house up on a hill at the highest point of "Drippin," as the locals call it. And since Jan's lived there about four years, that's what she calls it, too.

When I need creative inspiration or my brain seems stagnant, I sneak away and spend a day or two with her. I've know Jan since 1992 when she came into my shop to order rehearsal dinner invitations for her son. Over time we became fast friends. I have learned so many things from her through the years. She has style and class and terrific ideas.

That's where I was Wednesday and Thursday of last week. Sometimes I just feel that I need something new to look...just to get the creative juices flowing again. She always has fresh ideas. She is a fabulous cook and the best party planner under the sun. Her presentations are over the top and one just never passes up an invitations to Jan's. (And sometimes one doesn't even WAIT for an invitation, one just invites herself, like I did last week.)

Leaving here on Wednesday morning at 6:30, I was in her driveway by 10:15. We took off to Austin, picked up our entertainment for the day...her daughter Andrea, and made our 12:30 lunch reservations at Bess's with time to spare. Bess's happens to be Sandra Bullock's restaurant on Sixth Street and Pecan. She didn't know we were coming, so she wasn't there, but the food was fabulous and the atmosphere was stellar. Even without her, it was wonderful...and besides, she now has that baby to take care of...

We then drove to Marble Falls to shop, finding inspirational displays at The Mews and finding great disappointment that my favorite kitchen store, Zoo-La-La, is out of business. We drowned our sorrow in the bottom of a pie pan at The Bluebonnet Cafe...making it there just in time for "Pie Happy Hour"! My kind of happy hour...

After many miles and lots of calorie-burning giggles, we dropped Andrea back at her house, drove back to Drippin', and grabbed a rocking chair on Jan's back porch just in time to watch a few rain clouds roll in.

The next morning Jan followed me in her car to a little junk/antique shop in Elgin, a little town east of Austin. Had a quick bite of barbecue, which is what Elgin is famous for...much more so than junk/antiques, we discovered. From there we took the back country roads to Geronimo, a tiny, tiny town full of antique stores. We both thoroughly enjoyed the ride through the lush, green countryside to get to Geronimo. It was sort of on the way home for me and just a giant loop for Jan.

I spent a total of $27...$10 on a tray and $17 on a wire basket, but the inspiration was priceless. And I came home with a bag full of books and magazines that she thought might offer me something new to discover.

So thanks, Jan and Andrea, for the laughs, the good company, the fabulous food, and always being up for an adventure! It does the soul good!

1 comment:

  1. Judi....
    Next time you come to Austin.... you gotta look me up! We have study group on the third Wednesday of the month and our general meeting of Capital City Scribes is on the second Tuesday... Sept through May. I know you'd enjoy our group and if we knew you were coming... say to study group, perhaps we could do lunch before and something FUN during it. It's not really Studying, it's more like a Play Day... Love your blog...
    Trish

    ReplyDelete