Monday, February 14, 2011

Create Your Own Cream Puff


Way back when Jesus was just a boy, I learned how to make cream puff pastry. It's one of the easiest and most impressive desserts you can make. As a Valentine treat, I baked a dozen cream puffs and put together a "Create Your Own Cream Puff" bar. The simple recipe follows at the end of this post.

Then because I'm a quick and easy kind of girl, I spoon vanilla ice cream into balls and pop onto a cookie sheet to flash freeze, mix up some instant vanilla pudding, and whip some whipping cream. I heated hot fudge sauce and carmel topping and arranged everything in little bowls for guests to decide how they want to create their own cream puff.

It's easy, delish, and fun to do. I think you should try it. Let me know how it goes over at your house...

Cream Puffs
1 cup water
1 stick butter
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat water and butter to rolling boil. Stir in flour. Sir vigorously over low heat about one minute or until mixture forms a ball. Remove from the heat. Beat in eggs, all at one time; continue beating until smootgh. Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls three inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool away from draft. Cut off tops. Pull out any filaments of soft dough. Carefully fill puffs with your choice of filling. Replace tops; top with desired topping. Can be refrigerated until serving time and can be made well in advance and stored in a large ziploc baggie.

1 comment:

  1. Judi!! This looks and sounds fantastic! I know my kids would be over the moon with Make Your Own Cream Puffs!! Thanks!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete