Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer Snack Basket


Here's a shot of my favorite summer snack. Fresh cherries, crackers, cashews, and a little string cheese. I'd actually rather have this than breakfast or lunch. So simple and the flavors all meld together to make one seriously tasty one-woman party!

The past two summers we've spent time in the northwest corner of the country. Taking planes, autos, boats, and trains we wound our way around the coast of Washington and Oregon, taking full advantage of the cool, crisp air coming off the Pacific. But the one part that sticks in my mind was the "Fruit Loop" around Mt. Hood. We drove around the mountain on a scenic loop that was peppered with hundreds of fresh fruit stands. I think we stopped at nearly every one of them. And out there, their "fruit stands" consist of not only the freshest produce, but baked goods, honey and even art. Just about anything somebody might be in the market for. But, for us, it made for some really great snacking along the way.

And that's when I fell madly in love with fresh cherries. And we even saw them growing on the trees! If it wasn't for those pesky pits to dispose of, cherries would be my favorite food. I lean toward Rainers, but I'll settle for Bing that I can get at my local grocery store...and be darn happy most of the summer. In fact, that's probably my favorite thing about summer is the fresh fruit available and oh is it so tasty...

To dress this snack up so St. Wayne will think it's a meal, I use my little wire produce baskets I've had a hundred years, line them with natural parchment and start filling. To keep consumption of the crackers and nuts at a minimum, I use regular cupcake liners for the crackers and mini liners for the nuts.

Try it, the presentation will convince you it's fun to eat and when you're finished snacking on that fabulous combination of flavors, you're totally satisfied. Light, fun and just a little party in a basket!

No comments:

Post a Comment