Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Monograms and More...


In February of 2010 my friend Cathie's daughter, Julie, got married. When I designed the wedding invitations, I started with a design of the couple's monogram. From there we printed it onto a tag to embellish the satin ribbon tying the invitation. This is a scan of the finished design.

Now that the happy couple are expecting a daughter in September, Julie's busy nesting. She posted a picture on Facebook several weeks ago of a project she'd finished for their master bedroom. She covered her plain headboard with quilt batting and a drop cloth. They are very inexpensive, have a wonderful nubby texture, and are available for next to nothing in Walmart's paint department. And the bonus is you get a huge piece of fabric to work with. Here's a picture of the headboard with the new covering...



Well, her monogram instantly came to my mind when I saw the headboard. So I suggested she let me cut a long strip of leftover drop cloth I had from an earlier project of my own, hem the sides, and transfer the monogram onto the fabric. She liked that idea so when her mom came to visit a few weeks ago, we got it done. I ended up having to go over it with a black sharpie marker because we wanted it a rich, deep black and the transfer came out with a green tint to it.



The above picture is of her and Dave's finished bedroom and the picture below is a close-up. I think it looks terrific! She just wrapped the monogramed strip around the headboard and pinned it into place. That way, if she ever gets tired of it, she can take it off. Good job, Julie!

No comments:

Post a Comment