Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bonus Brothers


In my opinion there are two types of people in this world...the lucky ones that have great and loving brothers and the rest of us. I used to feel cheated and a little bit ticked off that I didn't hit the jackpot when brothers were being passed out, but over the years, I've come to realize that God put other guys in my life to compensate.


One of those was Woody. He was married to my dear friend for almost 30 years and we lost him recently. He'll be sorely missed by all who knew him. Because all who knew him...well, they really knew him. Woody was one of those people who didn't care if you liked him or not. It was up to you and it didn't matter one iota to him. I was put off by that when I first met him. It took me awhile to get with his program, but once I did I found it refreshing. So many people put on their best face and you're locked into a relationship when you find out they're not what you thought. Not Woody...you knew what you were getting into from the very beginning.


For the longest time he pretty much ignored me when I was at his house. Sometimes I'd move in for 3 days and he wouldn't go anywhere with us or join in any of our conversations. He'd just sit and read and occasionally voice his opinion about something and really just tolerated our giggles and non-stop chatter. But somewhere along the way we decided we liked each other.


One year I was there for my birthday and he told me as he was leaving for work that morning that he'd take us anywhere I wanted to go for a birthday dinner that night. After considering all the stellar eating establishments in Dallas, it would be Keller's. Keller's is an old hamburger/beer joint complete with carhops. It's been there as long as I can remember and one of my favorite places to eat when I go back. Not only do they have great burgers and cold beer, but it's the best place ever to people watch. And thus began a long-standing tradition. But the catch with Woody was everybody had to eat the same thing so the ordering with the carhop was uncomplicated. So we all had a number 5 and tots with a cold beer. Lucky for us all that's everybody's favorite anyway!



Four days after he left this world, as a salute to Woody, seven of us piled into his car and we went to Keller's for lunch. And you bet it was number 5's and tots with cold beer all around. Here's to my bonus brother, Woody, and years of great memories...we're gonna miss you!


No comments:

Post a Comment