Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Labor Day Find

We spent Labor Day weekend in Houston with our son and daughter-in-law. On Saturday we went down Westheimer in the Montrose section of town for lunch and a little shopping. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but came across this lonely little chest of drawers in a vintage shop. I don't often find a piece of furniture that really calls my name, but this one did. And the best part, it was on sale. It sat in my garage all week because it weights about a gadzillion pounds and I knew I had to have help moving it. And besides, I didn't have a clue where I'd put it. But you know what they say, "If you really love a piece, buy it and you'll find a place for it."


I decided we'd better take the drawers out until I found its final resting spot. St. Wayne gets testy when I make him move heavy furniture. So here's the spot. It's next to my chaise in our bedroom. I thought it was the perfect place. After my piddlin' around all afternoon lining the 16 drawers with scented drawer liners, it's all set to be loaded. It will really provide lots of storage. But I think it's a powerful feeling to have a whole empty chest, so I might wait awhile to fill those little drawers. It's just good to finally have it in place for when I'm ready. A little bit shabby and a little bit chic...I love the combination of painted with a natural wood top. Yeah, I feel a little more piddlin' time coming for filling all those little drawers!

2 comments:

  1. I love that thing! Isn't that called an apothecary cabinet or chest? No wonder you bought it. If I had seen that somewhere, I would have immediately thought of you. It probably has your name on it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it! So glad you found it! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete